You win some, you lose some.

So, after preliminary tests suggested that hidden-face culling could triple my performance, I invested ~1 weeks' worth of time into making that happen.

Today, I finally got it up and working... Only to find that instead of gaining performance, removing hidden faces actually slows down rendering by a factor of 5.

Not all my work is wasted - Along the way, I learned a ton about how opengl functions, and re-wrote several pieces of code to be more efficient.

Another setback has occurred with regards to Yam - His company is dragging their feet on giving him the OK to use his own free time, so he hasn't been able to design our launcher. I'm not sure how I'll deal with that - I may cobble something together and release anyway, or I may try to push back the release by a couple days to accommodate.

I'm pulling some crazy-long days to get this thing done in time - Yesterday was a 14 hour day, for example. I don't think I can manage that today, so I'm likely to stop around 10 or 11 hours.

On the plus side, I've gotten the options GUI mostly in-place, and thanks to Nezumi's artwork, it's looking snazzy. I'll have a screenshot for you guys within a day or so.

Cheers,
-Dirk

munashe munashe's picture

I can't wait to try it out! :) I really like Nezumi's artwork so far.

-Walloping